We have a great range of activates available to us in our Central Florida communities. No matter what activities you enjoy—they are less enjoyable if you suffer from heel pain. Fortunately, there are many heel pain treatment options that will allow you to find pleasure once again in your favorite interests.
Your heels clearly play an essential role in your daily and leisure actives, like playing golf or checking out the collections at the Orlando Museum of Art. If you are going to spend an afternoon exploring the informative and interactive exhibits at the Orlando Science Center, you want your feet to be as pain-free as possible.
As we care for your heel pain, some of the treatments we may use include:
- Ice. Icing inflamed tissue, like an Achilles tendon or a sore arch, reduces inflammation and relieves pain. Our doctors will provide an appropriate icing regimen for you.
- Medication. We may prescribe medication to help relieve painful symptoms. These can include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory options like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium. We might also use corticosteroid injections when other treatment options are insufficient. It is best to use these injections sparingly, though, because they can lead to long-term weakening in the affected tissue if used too frequently.
- Rest. The human body has remarkable healing capabilities, but it needs time to repair damaged tissue. Instead of taking all time off from activity, we may recommend you switch to low-impact activities (cycling, swimming) until the issue is resolved.
- Shoe inserts or custom orthotics. In some cases, additional arch support and cushioning can help relieve painful symptoms and prevent a condition from recurring.
- Stretches. Part of the reason heel pain is so prevalent is the way essential connective tissues are anchored to the heel bone. Keeping these tissues limber can not only address an existing problem, but also prevent one from developing.
- Laser Therapy. Our Altamonte Springs and Sandlake offices offer state-of-the-art MLS® Laser Therapy. Laser therapy is a safe, non-invasive method of alleviating a multitude of painful foot and ankle conditions including heel pain.
- Surgery. When conservative methods have failed to provide the relief you need, we may recommend a surgical procedure. This tends to be rather rare. However, you can rest assured that our team at Foot & Ankle Associates of Florida is staffed with expert foot surgeons.
These are some options we might use if you are experiencing heel pain. We will need to assess your problem first to determine the best treatment plan for you. Make an appointment with a podiatrist at one of our Florida offices – Orlando, Altamonte Springs, Lake Mary, Mt. Dora, and Kissimmee.
For more information on the services we provide, simply give us a call at 407-339-7759 (or 352-589-9550 if you call from Lake County). Remember, you can also request an appointment right now by using our online form.