Hurray!! The Central Florida Fair is finally coming back around!
From wolf shows and helicopter rides to sugary elephant ears and deliciously greasy corn dogs, there will be plenty of exciting times to enjoy with both family and friends.
But, in the midst of having a blast, we often forget about the importance of our foot health. That is, of course, until we pack up everything and head back home with aching feet. And, this should come as no surprise as they will be the ones carrying and supporting us while we wait in line for the Ferris wheel or trudge along to the next food stand.
The bottom line is that our feet will feel most of the weight and impact while we go about our adventures at the 2019 Central Florida Fair. Indeed, our feet are the foundation to the rest of our bones, muscles, and ligaments. And as such, when our feet suffer, so does the rest of our bodies.
So, if you are already half-way out the door putting the first pair of shoes you can find…
Before you buy your 2019 Central Florida Fair tickets and kick the fun times into high gear, we are here to give you some great tips on how you can make sure your feet are kept healthy and happy throughout your ventures.
Prep Your Feet for the Walking
We all know that navigating through fair grounds usually requires a good amount of planning – from figuring out where to park, which bus to take, the best route for food, and which exhibits to see. Just the preparation alone can take hours.
But something we don’t often think about is how our bodies will handle this fun filled day – or in some cases, days. And our feet, especially, deserve some consideration – proper footwear will be the difference between making it through the second half of the day or calling it quits early. Trust us.
So, if you are no quitter, then here are some things you should keep in mind to make sure you will last until the very end of the day:
- Avoid wearing socks mainly made from cotton. Cotton retains moisture which can cause blisters more easily. Instead, look for socks that are made from synthetic materials like polyester.
- Trim your toenails the right way. Keep them short (but not too short) and make sure to cut the nail straight across rather than in an arch. This will help you avoid things like an ingrown or fungal toenail.
- Avoid wearing sandals. People are never watching where they are going, so toes can get stepped on. This means you will be at higher risk for getting cuts or sores. It is best to keep your feet protected.
- Do some stretching. Since you will be doing a lot of walking, it is a good idea to prepare the muscles and tendons on your feet for the journey. Do some light stretching before heading out of the house.
- Choose the right footwear. Your shoes should fit properly and provide the right amount of support to your feet. If your shoes are too tight or too loose, you may begin to develop blisters or corns. Instead, try opting for shoes which have plenty of room for your toes to move about freely.
If you are not quite sure which type of footwear is best for you, there is no need to sweat it! We have some tips for you to keep in mind whenever you are looking for the best pair of kickers to take you around the fair safely and comfortably.
The Best Footwear for You
Below are some tips on how you can find the perfect pair of shoes for the 2019 Central Florida Fair:
- Look for a light weight and breathable shoe. The last thing you need is a sweaty foot – this may cause your foot to slip in the shoe, making blisters more likely.
- Be sure your foot has enough room in the toe box. There should be about a half inch between your toes and the end of the shoe, and your toes should be able to move about freely.
- Always avoid shoes that are restrictive. Shoes should not pinch or bind, especially across the arch or ball of your foot.
- Break in your shoes before heading out. Even if it means running errands in your new shoes for the week before the fair.
- Wear your orthotics if you have them. Especially if you have a history of foot pain like plantar fasciitis.
But there is more!
Once You Get Back Home
Your feet tend to get sweatier and dirtier than other areas of your body – especially after going to the a fair. So, it’s critical to wash them once you get home with a mild soap.
Simply use soap and some lukewarm water. By doing so you will be able to easily remove sweat, bacteria, and dirt that may be sticking to your feet. Then make sure that you use a gentle towel to thoroughly pat your feet dry and clean any remaining water between your toes.
If you feel so inclined, you can also scrub your heels. This will help reduce any potential risks of corns or callus development. Try using a pumice stone or a foot scrubber – both of these tools will help remove dead skin cells and reveal smooth, healthy skin.
Finally, it is vital that you moisturize your feet after washing and thoroughly drying them – with all the contact and friction your feet will experience throughout the day, they will certainly be more prone to becoming dry and cracked.
If you follow these steps, we can guarantee your feet will thank you.
Now, go on and get to the fun! But remember, wherever your plans take you this March, never forget about your feet.
If you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like to see one of our medical professionals, here at Foot & Ankle Associates of Florida we have the best tools to help you stay on top of your foot health. All you have to do is make an appointment with us by calling the number (407) 339-7759 or (352) 589-9550 (if calling from Lake County).
You can also fill out our handy request form online. Our team of professionals will be happy to assist you!